Re: Tongue Blocking, Saliva P...

I am probably sticking my neck out, but here goes.

I don't play the blues harp, but the chromatic (3 and 4 octaves).  When I
first started to play, I would look down at the music on the table and my
head would be titled down.  That seemed to caused more saliva to be
generated, then holding you head up a bit. I still get a dry mouth sometimes,
but I use the chap stick on my lips if they get dry (I even use the chap
stick before I will play a piece in concert).  I may even stop and use it
again during the concert, especially if the piece is very long.  Another
reason for a bit more saliva may be due to the lips not being firm on the
mouth piece.  If you hold you lips too loose or your tongue is moving around
quite a bit on the mouthpiece, this may be causing the saliva to be generated
more.  I also use a bit of "lip bitting" for note separation in staccato, or
a single note, but not necessary on a run of notes.  Actually, I use both lip
bite and no lip bit when I am playing.  It all depends upon the music,
phrasing, articulation, etc.  I think if you will open your mouth to take in
air between notes sometimes (e.g., lots of draw notes or lots of blow notes)
this may stop a lot of the salive from being generated in your playing

As I say, I may be sticking my neck out when trying to provide any
suggestions about saliva control o blues players.  My speciality is chromatic
harmonica.  However, take the info for what it is worth.

Richard Martin