Re: Outcasts *NOT* & We Love Gardner

*************STUFF DELETED********************
> And not that this really matters to the discussion, but the first 'home
> brew' music I ever heard (I think I was 3) was my father playing 'You Are
> My Sunshine' on his concertina. Now I didn't take that too seriously at the
> time, but when he told me he sold it just 6 months ago, you could say I was
> in a seriously upset mood  8(

Hi All,

	Just an aside really, but I wanted to say in in a previous post
and forgot.

I think a lot of harp players would enjoy playing the concertina.  One
way of looking at the concertina would be as a polyphonic mouth organ.

	*Polyphonic* capable of playing several notes at once.

The Anglo concertina is tuned like a harp, i.e. diatonicaly.

You can play melody one one side, and chords, or some simple variation
of the melody, or even the same melody but at a lower octave all at the
same time. With certain limitations that is.

The better anglo's have a row on semi-tone keys as well.

The English concertina, and the English duet concertina take more
learning, the duet *MUCH* more. They are fully chromatic however.

The duet is capable of playing full scale classical music even,
and dance, blues and jazz sound wonderful on a concertina.

In the early part of this century, the concertina became  so popular
(in England particularly) that it was almost a mania, and large concertina
bands were formed, and music written for them. It was a reall parlour
entertainer too.

So come on harpers, if you are a bit tempted to get one, go on,
feel the water, it's lots of fun to play. (I play Anglo).

Out of all the instruments that I play, the concertina is by far the most
living, breathing, organic of the lot. Theraputic to boot!

Gordon