Re: Old Grey Whistle/Charley McCoy

While you guys are talkin' Charley McCoy, I just wanted to tell how, when I
was a teenager, long, long ago (about 66) I used to go to a dance club in
Shelbyville, TN-the Cellar (yes, in a cellar) where Charley McCoy and the
Escorts used to play sometimes on Saturday night. Believe it or not, he
never played harmonica. He sang some, and played bass and trumpet, get
this-sometimes at the same time. He turned the bass up loud and fretted the
bass notes while wailing on that trumpet! They were the best band ever to
play that club (a soul star, Robert ?, I can't remember, sometimes came
with them. He had one hit I know of: Everlasting Love). Anyway, I remember
the house would be packed when they were there-at least a half dozen fights
in the parking lot, plus other choice teenage attractions in the back seats
of Chevelle's and 57's, etc. Across town, in another teen dance club, the
Carosel, about the same time, I once saw the great Jerry Lee. He must have
been really down and out to have to play that dive. BTW, the Foxchase is
something of a standard at Fiddler's conventions/Bluegrass, Ole Time
festivals, etc.

Ted@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx