Re: Marine Band 364 Bends-Junior Wells

Hi Gang.  It's been weeks since I posted, but I'm trying to get caught up
on lots of things.

I saw Junior Wells perform two weeks ago.  He was in excellent
voice, he performed with lots of energy, and he played quite a bit
of harp, including his Messin' With The Kid solo.  Junior really
doesn't get into long solos like Cotton or Musselwhite, at least
not on his own music.  I think he played more when he backed
Muddy than he does as a front man.

Another thing about Junior is that he drinks a bit.  Even the night
I saw him, he was definitely under the influence.  He kept making
rambling comments in the direction of Robert Jr. Lockwood, who was
in the audience and stepped up to play and sing one song.  When
Junior stepped off the stage during the break, it was apparent he
was loaded.  He sometimes arrives at shows too drunk to perform.

Paying money to see Junior is always a crap shoot.  My gamble paid
off.  I saw a blues legend in excellent form.

The other George (Mayhew)