Re: Marine Band 364 Bends-Junior Wells

Harpers,

	I saw Junior this summer, here at a street festival. My companions
were disappointed. I was just glad to have heard him at all. A little
Junior, I said, is better than none. And his band was worth the time and
money. Two really good guitar players/singers, brass section, etc. I really
enjoyed the show. But I agree with Eric that Junior must be getting on in
years. He tettered up to the mike like an aged man. He sang pretty good, I
thought, but he didn't play much harp. He was on stage about 20 min. The
band did about forty-five to an hour of cookin' blues, before it rained.
	When a man has lost some (you might say most) of his youth and energy,
should he retire? Or be retired? Perhaps Junior would like to quit the
road, but can't. I'm sure old bluesmen don't have big pensions. At least he
is keeping seven or so musicians working, and giving us a glimpse of what
once was. I would hate to think of him existing on social security or
worse, welfare, in a project somewhere, broke, sick, etc. The Kid gave us a
whoppin' mess o' blues. Cut him a little slack, if you can.

Only my humble, non-flammable opinion.

Ted Allbritton