Re: Big River and Reading Music

Ok, Ok, Winslow got to put in his two-cents worth, so here is mine. Reading
music is a great attribute to have, but unecessary to play any instrument.
As pointed out earlier, a lot of the better musicians cannot sight read
music. A lot of the better musicians can sight read, too. One needs to keep
this in persective, though. As for the harmonica, if you want to be in a
Union and play in an orchestra, but better read, or at least look like you
can. If you want to play a little blues down at the local blues bar, I
wouldn't advise taking any music, as you won't find much call for it. I read
music( my skills have deteriorated a little over the years ) but NEVER do.
All my harp playing is blues, and beside looking awful silly, I'd be the
only one playing from sheet music. Since alot of the blues is spontaneous,
reading from music fails the first time someone stretches a solo. I alway
required everyone in my band to step out with a little off-the-cuff riff
every now and then. I'll point at someone and they better come off with
something on que, or else. No sheet music. Now that I have said all of that,
let me summarize here. First, you could never be worse off for learning how
to read music. I HIGHLY recommend learning, if for nothing else to turn
around the image of harp players. The theories are very interesting. Second,
reading music does not a better harp player make. Plain and simple. It's all
inside of you and reading music doesn't make it come out, it only makes you
understand how someone else wants it to come out.

Tim Moody
MississippiSaxophone