Re: Buzz in my chromatic

>I found that I have an unpleasant buzz in the lower notes of my hohner 270
>chromatic.

Blow or draw notes?  What key is your 270 in?  The key of the harmonica has
to do with the length of the reeds of those "lower notes"

>I'm quite sure that it has something to do with the little white
>plastic valves in the instrument.

Well, the longer the reed, the longer the "wind saving valve."  Also,
on the longer windsaving valves, there is an inverted cup on some.  This
inverted cup could be hitting the cover plate if it is at all curled up.

Also, Hohner wind savers are all two piece units.  The lower layer is white,
and the upper layer is white.  These layers do stick from of all reasons,
dried moisture between them.  This condition is most prevalent on the wind
saving valves on the inside, not as bad on the ones outside.

>Is there anything I can do about it?

If the valves are simply curled, you can straighten them with a paper clip.
If the valves are stuck together, you can separate them with a hat pin.
If the reed is out of alignment, you can center it with a reed wrench.
If the reed is cracked, you will have to have the reed replaced.

George

--
      George Miklas, Bass Harmonicist, Jerry Murad's Harmonicats
                     E-Mail:  ah567@xxxxxxxxxxx