Boss Metalizer.

 > I mentioned the Boss Metalizer in my last post and
 > figured I talk about
 > that a bit...

 >   I've tried other boxes on the rack while I was at
 > the store.  None of
 > them really did much for me except the Metalizer.  I
 > wonder if anyone else
 > has found some cool effects to use?

 Although I'm not big on rack-mounted effects because it means you have to
haul around a rack, there are some stomp boxes I've tried and like.

 First, there are several tube-driven stomp boxes (Blue Tube, Real Tube and a
new one from Mesa Boogie whose name slips my mind). They are all pre-amps and
are good for kicking up the input for amps that don't have master volume
controls. Most also have tone controls (some have three-way equalizers) that
let you roll off offending feedback frequencies. These stomp boxes are very
effective at giving you an overdriven sound at lower volume. I find them very
handy for use with my Bassman reissue at practices. Disadvantages: They
*must* be plugged into the wall (no batteries), and they're pricey, starting
at about $100 and going up to $300. Blue Tube also makes a similar rack unit
with stereo outputs, good for running amps in series.

 There are some transistor units that sound very similar.
Chief among these is the Ibanez Tube Screamer, a highly flexible unit that
was a fave of Stevie Ray Vaughan. Guitarists tell me it gets very close to a
tube preamp sound _ and of course, you can throw a 9 volt battery into it. It
is expensive at about $125. Ibanez makes a
cheaper unit with imported parts that is supposedly around $60.

 If your amp needs a reverb, I might suggest the one I'm
using, a tube-driven rack-mount Peavey Valverb. It has big springs and three
pre-amp tubes. It's gotten rave reviews and also has vibrato. It has user-
controllable inputs and outputs. Again kinda pricey, though, at about $275
retail (I found one used, but they're in demand).

 I think it's essential to try any effects units and stomp boxes with your
rig before buying. Your choice of mics and amps will make a big difference in
the effectiveness of the units. In fact, if you get into a lot of this stuff,
I'd almost certainly recommend the use of a vocal mic instead of a crystal or
Green Bullet mic, to provide a cleaner signal that's easier to treat. Shaker
mics would work well, too, I would think.

 I'm curious: Is there such a thing as a digital reverb or
digital echo pedal? I know there are digital delays, but delay doesn't sound
the same (it doesn't decay - only echoes back at a set speed and volume level
for a set number of pulses).