Re: Harp-L-Digest/QUERY.

David Witzany <witzany@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>The only difference between the original harp-l and the new digest is that the
[...]
>temptation to take "just a second" to read the latest goodies.

Dave's discription is better than one I could have given so I'll stand
by his.

>As to this list being more civilized than the notesfiles, there's a good reason
>for it.  The people reading these notes are here because of an interest in the
>subject, so you can expect the tone to be that of friends, even during
>disagreements.  "Out there", you run into loons who are reading the notes just
>because they found the group, and that random element can (and often does)
>contribute a lot to the level of flamage out there.

This was one of the things we discussed before Christmas break.
Originally I had wanted a newsgroup, but my Sys-Admin convinced me to
have a mailing list instead, thereby being able to avoid most of the
stupidity brought on by boredom (and the flame wars which seem more
common on newsgroups).

>  Just watch:  With Spring
>classes getting started, the children will be making up for lost time spewing
>their nonsense-- which computer is best, which don't deserve to exist, and all
>that.

Exactly!  That's the type of thing I *HOPE* to avoid by creating a REC
newsgroup rather than an ALT...the specifics of which are too numerous
to go into (and I'm feeling lazy at the moment).

So Gordon, as far as you or I am concerned (access to most everything
and no problems with Disk Space), it comes down to personal reading
preference....  I like mail, but I like news also....  I'll register
the newsgroup, but I'll stay on the List also.  Personally I probably
like mail better, since I usually keep all messages for a good bit of
time.

Hopefully we'll have a choice of either one, within a few months (I'm
not sure how long all the discussions and voting takes....).

Later,

Chris