Re: Shopping for my first Chromatic Harp.

pierccm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx says:
I'm not clear on the 440 and 443.  I realize that it has to due with
Physics, the frequencies and all, but which is what?  I believe I had
heard on here before that 440 is A...is that correct?  Anyone willing
to clarify this one for me?

440 is just a number.  it's convenient for physicists, and they're
usually the ones to use it.  there is no 11th commandment that
says an A must be 440.  in fact, i think all of europe plays flatter
than that.  at any rate, the pitch of notes has risen over time,
as have tempos.  i think the difference may be as much as
a half step.

at any rate, for those interested, 440 is the number of cycles
per second in the air as it vibrates.  as long as everyone
tunes to the same frequency, though, there should be no
problems.  it is the ratios of frequencies, not the actual
numbers that matter.

bradford

--
**   Bradford C. Powell   --   ag070@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx       **
**   Savannah, Georgia               "silver seventy"          **