Re: John Brim

>Little Walter's solo on Ice Cream Man was pretty much a joke. He played the
>same thing like 8 times for one 12 bar progression. But there is some fine
>harp work on the other cuts. Don't remember Rattlesnake.
>
>Ricky B.

I will have to listen to this cut again.  I can't believe a Little Walter solo could be a joke.
Often, harp players repeat a lick over the I and IV resolving the line on the V.  LW often
would blast syncopated rhythms on just the 2 draw.  Case in point - "Juke."  That certainly
doesn't make it a joke.  I builds tension.  He'll come around on the next progression and
play a pretty, quiet melodic line.  I, however, would exercise extreme caution on a harp
discussion list with using the name "Little Walter" and the word "joke" in the same
sentence, but of course you are entitled to your own opinion.  Hey, maybe Brim only payed
Little Walter enough for one lick in that session!

Bernie Clarke
"I sleep okay, but I don't get much rest." - Steve Gomes