Re: Junior Wells.

Norbert wrote:

>  I just got back from a short vacation in Chicago and I caught Junior
>Wells' show at Buddy Guy's Legends.

Never seen Buddy, but I saw Junior in April here in Mpls.  Same thing --
all show, very little blow.

He did the Collins/Guy audience walk-through thing (wireless mike) with all
4 horns and guitar and bass parading behind in a large bar venue (very cool
:).  He looked like Sammy Davis Jr. circa 1975 (polyester and Stacy Adams !
:) -- and like he weighed only 70 lbs.  Seemed to have energy, but when I
tried to speak to him afterwards, his bodyguard had to repeat what I said
to blank stares a couple of times.

I spoke to the band afterwards, and they were sort of laughing about how
often he picked up the wrong harmonica.  I agree that it was similar to a
James Brown feel, in fact they did a medley ("Junior's Nuts") with a few
bars of "Papa's got a Brand New Bag" thrown in.

It was a well-constructed show.  It was cheap ($5). I had a good time.  The
harmonica playing was good (not excellent) and incidental.

Regards,                  haandruss@xxxxxxx
Harv                      *Opinions my own*