Re: Honking patrons

Rick Barker wrote:
> I've seen harp players(good ones and wannabe's) playing all through songs
> at blues jams. They play through the guitar player's solo, the
> keyboardist's, the sax player's, etc. They leave no holes. In a full band
> situation, a guitarist can back up a harp very nicely(as we all know). But
> when it's the guitarist's time to take a ride, harmonica has to be added
> very selectively, if at all. Often, you can tell more about a musician by
> what he doesn't play than what he does play. Silence is an extremely
> worthwhile concept in music. The ideas presented in this paragraph are not
> limited to harmonica players.
You are absolutely right, Rick! :-)  One of the primary qualities I look
for and admire in fellow musicians is knowing when NOT to play.  I have
seen and been a part of jams in where one guy just wouldn't "shut up"
with their playing.  That's when the band stands behind the guy and just
roll their eyes and laugh about him.  No matter how good the player may be,
I always pity the player who cannot "take his turn and then sit down".
Harmonica in an impromptu jam would be, to *me*, like a Sax player - play
rhythm until given the floor.  And then blow everybody's doors off! :-)
I just wanted to add my measly two cents, but Rick's post says it all.

Later,
Craig S.

|  Craig Smoot                                                        |
|  Systems Analyst / Programmer / Musician                            |
|  Gradkell Systems, Inc. - Huntsville, AL                            |
|  (craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) ...And NO, I'm not in the Army! ;-)   |