Re: still struggling

The reason a lot of harmonica players play harmonica is that it was the
first instrument they picked up and could actually play almost
instantly.  This has certainly been my experience ansd in reading
interviews of harmonica greats in the Kim Field book it seems to be
somewhat thematic as an experience.  I agree that people lurking in bars
playing harmonicas in the wrong key can be a less than pleasant
experience, but it's the way everyone learns.  I think there is great
value in staring out with just one or two harmonicas and noodling around
by yourself.  It helps establish context for the sounds and I think
you're less apt to fall into the crossharp is the only way trap.  If
Howard Levy had succumbed to cross harp the overblow style might never
have been perfected.  Now don't get me wrong here.  Like Tim I carry an
enormous array of diatonic harmonicas in my bag at all times.  I even
duplicate many keys in different models for the different tones they
provide.  My point is I don't necessarily agree that this is the way for
a beginner to start out.  While there is an element of truth in the
statement that being a beginner can be fun because you learn more quickly
than at any other point in your playing I also think that there is truth
in the thought that later in your playing career you hit plateaus and
struggle sometimes for months but eventually you come out the other side
and the leaps of understanding you make can be orders of magnitude.  The
more I learn the more I realize how much I have to learn and how little
of it I'll be able to learn before I die.  I find that the last 5% of
playing can be the most interesting to learn.  I agree about Steve
Baker's fine book the Harp Handbook but it doesn't have much actual
instruction.  This book is a good example of something that you read then
read again months later and gain new insight.  Quite a feat for such a
concise book.  FJM