Re: Amp Sourcebook.

I wish there was.  To my knowledge there are no comprehensive amplifier
books currently available.  The ones that do exist though good are
somewhat piecemeal and lack indexes.  They also tend to be somewhat touch
feely on the subject of amps.  Mystical if you will. Tjhe real problem
with cataloguing Fender amps (this probably applies to others as well) is
that Fender often mixed and matched their parts as they made transistions
from one model to another.  They had no real year to year model changes.
They made numerous one off custom models for people that wanted a
configuration that wasn't available stock.  As for being able to converse
on an even footing with salespeople I suggest buying several issues of
Vintage Guitar Magazine and paging through the ads to get a feel for the
top and bottom market prices for the amps you're interested in.  The last
two amps I've bought I got through private party ads in Vintage Guitar
and I payed way less than I would have payed locally.  Granted I knew
exactly what I was looking for and both times the amps were uncommon.
Opening up the search to ther entire nation made sense.  Still if I were
looking for a silver face twin I'd still try VG because prices are
surprisingly low.  A list of the amplifier books I know about follows.
I'd be very interested in hearing of others that anyone else may Know
about.  FJM

The Amp Book.  A guitarists introductory guide to tube amplifiers.
Written by Donald Brosnac.  Published by The Bold Strummer Ltd.  20
Turkey Hill Circle, Westport, CT 06880   Thin and black and white, lacking
a useful table of contents or index this book is still worth having for
the nit picky finish details found nowhere else.

Amps! The other half of Rock 'N' Roll.  By Ritchie Fliegler.  Published
by HP books.  7777 West Bluemound Rd. PO Box 13819 Milwaukee, WI 53213
Again lacking an index but this time in colour.  The Pictures are worth
the price of the book.  Poorly written and organized.  Way too little
hard technical informationa and specifications.

The Tube Amp Book 4th Edition.  By Aspen Pittman.  Self published by
Groove tubes.  12866 Foothill Blvd.  Sylmar, CA 91342, (818) 361-4500

This is the book considered by most to be the Bible when it comes to
tubes.  Poorly bound and unprofessionaly published, this book still has
the most information about the widest variety of amps opf any book
currently available.  My main complaint about this book besides the lack
of an index, is that Mr. Pittman is a name dropper and uses this book to
sell Groove Tubes a product that he distributes. Extensive Tube Amp
schematics in the back of the book.

A Desktop Reference of Hip Vintage Tube Amps.  By Gerald Weber.  Self
Published by Kendrick Books.  PO Box 160, Pflugerville, TX 78660-0160
While somewhat limited in it's scope in terms of shear numbers of
amplifiers dicussed this book is by far the most technicly masterful of
all of the above mentioned books.  If you want a good start at learning
about what makes your amp tick this is a good place to start.  Again
lacking an index this book is less than ideal as an identification
shopping guide but is a treasure trove of source addresses and technical
advice.  The back of the book contains extensive schematics of the most
common tube amplifier manufacturers.  They're larger than the Tube Amp
book ones. While somewhat self promoting (Mr Weber owns Kendrick Amplifiers)
I was less offended by his approach than the Groove Tube path to
electronic enlightenment.

Vintage Guitar Magazine
(701) 255-1197
PO Box 7301 Bismark ND, 58507