Re: Butterfield/Sebastian teaching tapes

George Boziwick writes:
 > 	Charlie, thanks for your input.  It was truly eloquent.  I
 > 	too am a Butterfield disciple and would appreciate any
 > 	leads you might have on bootleg recordings or videos.
 > 	Your sentiments are also mine, he was truly an innovator
 > 	and I think the fashion of the times might have done him
 > 	in.  While using horns,for instance, in his band was a
 > 	recent trend, perhaps it diluted his style and force.
 > 	Just speculation.
 > 	Thanks again, George

George,
	I'm afraid I'm a zero on bootleg stuff.  However, I know from
Mark Naftalin that he has hours and hours of live recordings he made
himself at their dates.  Naftalin has his own fledgling record
company, Winner Records, and he has tried to get Elektra to grant
permission to release his Butterfield material.  Electra refused,
saying that they were planning their own boxed set and didn't want to
risk being eclipsed by other material.
	Let me mention that the Vanguard 2-CD set of Newport Folk
Festival recordings, called "Blues With A Feeling", features 3 songs
by the Butterfield Band from the fateful 1965 Festival that ushered in
the meteroic rise of the group.
	Incidently, I can highly recommend "Percy Mayfield Live" on
Winner Records.  No harp playing, but great music.

Regards,
	--Charlie