Re: Of Newsgroups and Mailing List

--- Begin Message ---
    Chris writes....

    >Now on to a question of my own.  Back in the April edition of American
    >Harmonica Newsletter (AHN), there was a 2 page article on Cham-Ber
    >Huang's book/tape/harp package, "Blues & All That Jazz."  The article
    >says that the title is a little misleading in that it is not a pure
    >blues book, but that is not my concern.

    >The harp that comes with the package is a Huang Cadet solo tuned
    >chromatic harmonica...which the article says is required for the
    >second section of the book.

        The harmonica with the package is a diatonic, not a chromatic. See
    tuning layout below.

    >Ok...now my question.  Has ANYONE seen this package, read the book,
    >heard the tape, or played that type of harp?  If so, tell me all about
    >it.

        Our "Short Harp" group used this package for a couple months - We each
    (about eight of us) had our own copy. We never got to the second half
    which requires a chromatic. I think it is well done and a good course for
    beginning harmonica players - I like the fact that all songs have standard
    music notation on one page and a play by number system on the opposite
    page. The course can be completed using either or both methods.

    >The article says that the package is available for "$24 post paid from
    >Insignia International Inc. 12A Seabro Avenue, N. Amityville, NY
    >11701.  Phone is (516) 842-1907; fax is (516) 842-1909."

        Kevin's, Farrell, etc. probably have this at a discount price.

    -------------
    The following was originally posted 12-Nov-1992
    I know this is a repeat but it should help answer the question.

                            DIATONIC "Solo Tuned" HARMONICA
                (Identical to tuning of a chromatic with slide button out)
                 These models usually come with 12 holes / three octaves

                 1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10   11   12
               +---++---++---++---++---++---++---++---++---++---++---++---+
          BLOW | C || E || G || C || C || E || G || C || C || E || G || C |
               |   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   ||   |
          draw | d || f || a || b || d || f || a || b || d || f || a || b |
               +---++---++---++---++---++---++---++---++---++---++---++---+
                 ^              ^    ^              ^    ^              ^
                 |_ "C"  scale _|    |_ "C"  scale _|    |_ "C"  scale _|

    BLUES AND ALL THAT JAZZ by Cham-Ber Huang - List about $25 - includes a
    special solo tuned diatonic, book, and MMO type cassette. The 1st half of
    the course can be completed with the included harmonica, the 2nd half
    requires a chromatic. (The solo tuned diatonic "eases" you into the
    chromatic layout and tuning). Notation in the book is both by number and
    standard music notation. If not available in your music store try F&R
    Farrell or Write: Insignia International, Inc., 12A Seabro Avenue, North
    Amityville, New York 11701 - Attn: Cham-Ber Huang
                                                                Jack Ely
    end of 12-Nov-1992 post
    -------------
        I would recommend this package to beginners and to those who have been
    playing and want to learn to read music -or- want to learn the rudiments
    of blues and jazz. The tape is well done - with Chamber playing the
    diatonic and chromatic parts. Bass and Chord parts are furnished by Al
    Smith playing the Huang Chordette 20 (a small chord harmonica) and Judy
    Simpson (Smith) on bass harmonica.

        I want to emphasize the fact that the Cadet Soloist included with the
    package is NOT a chromatic harmonica and that it is required for the first
    half of the course. The second half of the course requires a chromatic
    harmonic - which the student must provide.
                                                                        Jack
    P.S. - Chris,
        I like the idea of mirroring HARP-L on news and mail. Opening up
    HARP-L to more people will only help the harmonica movement.
                                                                        jne

--- End Message ---