Re: chromatics

>  I saw Steve Jennings' message concerning good chromatic
> harps, and I wonder...does anyone know of any mail order
> outlet in the US that sells Hering or Tombo chromatics?
> I've never seen either anywhere...just the usual Hohners
> and (lately) the Suzuki Leghorns.
>  For that matter, has anyone tried a Suzuki Leghorn?

This is just to caution anyone who is thinking about buying a
Hering chromatic.  There are two different models.  The good
one is called a Membo (or something like that).  It is nicely
made and sounds good.  It has a machined mouthpiece with
round holes.  There is a picture of Toots Thielemans playing
this model on one of his albums from the early 60's.  Charlie
Musselwhite plays them, too.

The other model has a cast mouthpiece with square holes.  It
plays unevenly.  The lower pitched reeds rattle.  It's not a
good harp for the money.  I'm stuck with two of them.  I was
only aware of the Membo when I ordered a 12-hole and a
16-hole from Harmonica World-St. Louis.  When these arrived
I was VERY disappointed.  They've been relegated to my
"Oh, well, at least I learned not to buy one of these again
but maybe it'll come in handy some day" drawer.  As I recall,
this model is the Hering Professional.

Remember, harmonicas may not be returned.  It's the law.

Caveat emptor!

George

p.s.  My "Oh, well..." drawer is also populated by a Koch,
a Chrometta, a bunch of Blues Harps, and other failed
experiments.  Oddly enough, I still sometimes play the
Pocket Pal that was my first harp, four years ago.