Astatic Mics

 >>    Anyway - Hint - Look around ham electronic swap meets for a deal
 >>    on an old JT30 mic. It was a standard for hams for a long time.

People say the old mikes sound better because as the crystal element ages, it
loses some of its harshness and becomes warmer in tone in the middle ranges. I
know that the thinness in tone of the crystal in the Blues Blaster caused me
to pull the element out of my Green Bullet and put it in the Blaster
instead. Is this "vintage" thing a truism or is it just a fun new attempt to
soak harp players for additional money for old, once-cheap equipment?