ASCII drawing

--Boundary (ID 3GvjVAvuginLh21/+wHfrQ)

Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1993 08:57:00 EST
From: "JACK ELY"@mrgate.mec.ohio.gov
Subject: valves
Posting-date: Fri, 5 Mar 1993 00:00:00 EST
A1-type: DOCUMENT

John writes...

   ----------------
>> So it looks like they go over the reeds.  How are they attached?

>> Thanks, John

            Here's an attempt at an ASCII drawing of a valve - je
          (Sorry, ASCII tools don't allow for much acuracy or scale)

  (A)         (B)             (C)                                   (D)
           +-----+       ++-----++--+----------+                 +-+
     rivet |     |       ||     ||  +-Glue     |                ||/++
   o<-hole |  O <-rivet  ||  O  ||  | Area     |        dimple->++-+++
           |     | head  ||     ||--+          |        in valve++-+++<-Rivet
+-----+    ++   ++       |++   ++|             |                ||/||   Head
|     |    ||   ||       |||   |||             |                ||/||
|     |    ||   ||       |||   |||             |                ||/||
|     |    ||   ||       |||   |||    Valve is Slightly         ||/||
|     |    ||   ||       |||   |||    wider & longer than       ||/||
|     |    ||   ||       |||   |||    reed slot so that it      ||/||
|     |    ||   ||       |||   |||    blocks air flow when      ||/||
|     |    ||   ||       |||   |||    other reed in cell is     ||/||
|     |    ||   ||       |||   |||    operating.                ||/||
|     |    ||   ||       |||   |||    i.e. Blowing blocks the   ||/||
|     |    ||   ||       |||   |||    draw reed, Drawing        ||/||
|     |    ||   ||       |||   |||    blocks the blow reed.     ||/||
|     |    |+---+|       ||+---+||             |                ||/||
+-----+    +-----+       |+-----+|             |                ||/||<- Reed
   |          |          +-------+-------------+         Valve->||/++
 Empty slot Reed riveted     |                                  |+++
 in reed    in place.     Valve/Windsaver glued                   +Reed plate
 plate                    in place from opposite side         SIDE VIEW

(A) Empty slot (aperture) in reed plate.

(B) Reed riveted in place - must swing (vibrate) freely through aperture.

(C) The valve or windsaver is attached on the opposite side of the reed plate
    that the reed is on. Draw reed valves are on the inside, blow reed valves
    are on the outside and are visible. The valve is forced away from the reed
    being played so it does not interfere. The valve on the other reed in the
    cell is forced closed (flat) covering the aperture and preventing air
    leakage, giving better response. Use a contact type cement to replace
    valves. Dr. Harp says "Goodyear Pliobond is good if you leave it half dry
    in the bottle. New Pliobond is too stringy; when these nearly invisible
    strings trail across a windsaver they can cause trouble." Dr. Harp prefers
    Weldit - available from Woolworth.

    There is nothing new or revolutionary about valves on a harmonica; except
    perhaps for the reasoning behind placing them on a diatonic - Any decent
    diatonic harp has good response without valves - they aren't needed
    because the reeds are small and don't leak enough air to do harm. But
    where they make a difference is in bending and overblowing. Chromatics, on
    the other hand, have several large reeds and aren't worth a hoot (pun
    intended) without valves - at least on most of the reeds. Chromatics have
    had valves since the 20's or 30's. Early valves were made of leather and
    in fact were called leathers. Now they are made of genuine plastic (pun
    also intended). Valves are often the cause of problems in a harmonica,
    they can stick or not lie flat and cause buzzing or popping sounds.

(D) Picture D is a side view showing the reed on one side and the valve on the
    other side. The "dimple" in the valve is so it will fit over the end of
    the rivet and lie flat. Most commercially available valves have this
    dimple. If not, firm pressure will make one for you. This should be done
    dry before you apply the cement. Some valves are two piece - one layer to
    seal and the top layer to reinforce and make it lie flat. Get out one of
    your old clunkers and try putting on a windsaver. You can make your own
    out of various materials - a strip cut off a crisp dollar bill works
    pretty well - or try some various plastic material. For serious work
    though I recommend you buy some valves. I hope this drawing helps.

    We still have a few Dr. Harp harmonica repair books available - FREE! When
    we have to do a re-print we will probably start charging for it. It covers
    four areas - Reed Tuning, Windsavers (Valves), Bolt Conversion, & Reed
    Replacement. Illustrated except for the section on Valves.

    Write:      Harmonica Dispatch
                c/o Connie Hassler
                4532 Benderton Ct.
                Columbus OH 43220

    Many of our harmonica friends who have written for the Dr. Harp book have
    also subscribed to the Harmonica Dispatch - we thank you!
                                                                Jack Ely

--Boundary (ID 3GvjVAvuginLh21/+wHfrQ)--