Re: new harp

> From @ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU:pierccm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Thu Jun 24 19:11:15 1993
> Sender: pierccm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: new harp
> To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Folks -
>  I read in the AHA newsletter the other day about the new
> Tombo chromatic, which doesn't use a slide. Instead, it
> stacks one row of holes up and just to the right of the
> other. Has anyone seen or tried any of these harps?

I haven't tried it.  The layout seems like it would be kind
of awkward, to me.  I play chromatic with a slide.  The idea
of the slide can be intimidating to new players, but it's
not that difficult to learn.

> Speaking of seen-tried, does anyone get HIP, the harp
> magazine? I've thought about subscribing but at $5 an
> issue, it ought to be made out of gold. Is it worth
> the price?

IT'S WORTH IT!!!!  Winslow Yerxa, the publisher, editor,
writer, does a great job of packing the magazine with
useful information.  There have been two issues so far.
Each has had instruction in music theory and harmonica
technique, cd reviews, book reviews, interviews, etc.
The instructional stuff manages to touch all levels of
ability.

The only problem with HIP is its production schedule,
which is very irregular.  I got a postcard a couple of
weeks ago, apologizing for the delay in mailing Issue 3.
It also said that issues 1 and 2 are being reprinted.
New subscriptions start with issue 1, so you won't miss
early stuff if you subscribe now.

If I had the magazines with me, I'd send the tables of contents.
HIP is an excellent publication, the best of its kind for
harp players.  I highly recommend that anyone who can
afford to risk the $30 for a year subscription do so now.
It is a risk, as new magazines sometimes fold.  The one year
subscription might drag to two years by the time all six
issues are out.

We harp players are a small niche market.  Good new products,
especially magazines, don't come along very often.  There is
nothing else like HIP on the market.  If we don't support it,
it will die.

George

p.s.  I'm not affiliated with HIP in any way, except as a
satisfied customer.

p.p.s.  Kevin Hagerty gave up publication of Mississippi
Saxophone a few months ago.  The torch has been picked up
by some west coast folks, though.  I'll post more details
later.