Re: Good News for Chromatic

Jack Ely writes:

>     I know most of you out there in HARP-L land are diatonic players but here
>     is some good news for the chromatic harmonica.
>
>     William Galison (A great young jazz artist) will appear with STING on
>     SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE next month. Tune in on February 20, 1993 NBC TV -
>     Check your local listings for channel and air time.

Thanks for the news, Jack.  I'll be sure to watch.

>     William curently has two albums out (cassette & CD) the first is titled
>     "Overjoyed" - two cuts ("When I Fall In Love" & "Julia") received air time
>     a couple years ago in Columbus on WBNS-FM, that was the first time I'd
>     ever heard of him. His second album titled "Calling You", produced in
>     Japan, is hard to find in USA. Both albums are on the Verve/Forcast label.

I've heard from some people whose only exposure to chromatic has been the
music of Toots Thielemans.  Toots is a GREAT player, maybe the best, but
for those who are not into jazz, more specifically be-bop, his music can
be hard to "get."  As much as I love Toots, I know people who have been
turned off by his music.

William Gallison, on the other hand, plays very accessible music.  At least
that is the case on "Overjoyed."  He plays pop tunes and standards with a
light jazz touch.  His technique is excellent.  I recommend him to
chromatic players and non-chromatic players, as well.

>     William is one of only two young harmonica players who are doing much at
>     all with the chromatic instrument, not to put down other chromatic players
>     but if anyone has a chance at making a name for themselves and promoting
>     the harmonica to the younger generation, it is these guys. The other is
>     classical harmonicist Robert Bonfiglio whose young audience is going to be
>     limited (Although he occasionally plays blues on short harp in tribute to
>     his harmonica idol, Little Walter). It's up to these two guys to
>     revitalize young people's interest in the chromatic harmonica or I'm
>     afraid it will die... forever.

I hope Jack is wrong about the possible fate of chromatic harp.  There are
prescious few players to emulate, though.  I like the blues on chromatic,
but most blues players use only half of the instrument.  Guys like Little
Walter and James Cotton don't use the slide.  On the positive side, listen
to Charlie Musselwhite and William Clarke.  Both play at least one chromatic
cut on all their albums.  Both are very capable players, although the
chromatic material they play is not as technically difficult as you might
hear from Toots or Bonfiglio.  Still, it's great stuff that I love to hear
and play.

Never give up.

George