Re: harp mailinglist

Neil young mostly plays in first position. Dylan often plays in first
(he bends very poorly so cross-harp, when he plays it, tends to sound
crappy, check out "Sitting On Top of the World" on the new album). He
goes into some weird positions sometimes as well -- I believe the harp
in "All Along the Watchtower" is in fourth position.

I really don't consider either of them -- especially Dylan -- to be
good players. I love Bob and I think he's much more of a musician than
many give him credit for (and one HELL of a great singer) but his harp
playing is usualy rudimentary. Sometimes he goes further, but very
rarely. He comes up with great solos but there is no technique
involved, it's just breathing.

Other crappy rock harp players: Bono (the worst, IMO), Springsteen.
Decent rock harp players: Van Morrison, Jagger (they seem to at least
know what blues harp is supposed to sound like).

Ken Ficara                                        ficara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
GEnie: K.FICARA / Compuserve: 71311,1461 / AOL: KENFICARA / Prodigy: (Ha!)