Re: Hello and amp Q's

>        I'm new to the board, been playing "seriously" for about a year
>and have a rabid inclination to buy an amp.  Distortion,
>chorus, reverb, and a decent sound are desired for under $300.  Any
>suggestions?  Steve Baker's handbook mentions a Fender Super Reverb/ Twin
>Reverb and some jargon about a Phantom power supply w/ effect units  which all
>considerably exceed my grad stipend.  Have any of you tried a Rockman or
>other hip shooters into a PA system?  Maybe peddles are the way to go with
>a keyboard amp. Currently I use an old Shure high impedence vocal mike w/
>volume control.

You definitely will want a *guitar* amp.  Keyboard amps usually have a cleaner,
more "hi-fi" sound.  I'd advise *against* chorus for harp, but that's your
call.

You can easily find an old tube amp for under $300.  If it says "Fender" on it,
it'll be small, like a Princeton or Champ, but you can crank it and get all the
distortion you want.  Non-Fender brands like Premier, Gibson, Ampeg, etc. often
go for real small bucks and are worth looking into if you find any.

$300 will also get you a nice solid state amp with distortion and reverb but
you may not like the tone.  A good amp to try in this category would be a
Peavey Bandit, I see them used for $150-200.  You might be able to buy one
brand new for $300.

I would advise *against* using a Rockman-type unit or pedals to try to get
a dirtier sound through the PA.

Phantom power?  Huh? That's for condensor microphones!!  The mike you have is a
dynamic mike and doesn't *need* power.

						Brian Rost
						rost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
						508-568-6115
						DEC, Hudson, MA

         "King Crimson was one of the few gigs for a rock drummer
         where you could play in 17/16 and still stay in decent
         hotels."
						- Bill Bruford