Re: Speak up...

On 23 Oct 1992, Simon wrote:
> Well, I play whatever I can fit to my harp, which is a really mixed
> bag.  Most of it isn't really suitable (or, more likely, requires a
> bit more skill than I have as yet!), but it all sounds good round a
> campfire and gets everyone singing.

I've always played a mix of about half blues and half rock, when I've played
with bands. Lately I've been playing some funkier stuff, with Popper's
delayed influence(I've stopped listening to Blues Traveller, all of a
sudden I'm playing Popper's licks...). When I play by myself I like to get
into a groove on the I-IV chords on the bottom four holes, and play off of
that. Sometimes I think that's my best harp playing- when I can just
follow the groove wherever it goes, and I don't have to worry about how
"the song" goes.

> I've just had a thought- what is everyone's favourite place to play?

If anybody is reading this in Palo Alto, go to the University Ave train
station, and play a little while in the tunnel under the tracks. Beautiful
reverb....
I also like to play while I'm walking. I walk a lot, because I don't drive,
and I find that the rhythm of walking is pretty good for playing- that's
why they call it the walking blues, I guess. :) You get some funny looks,
but that's okay. It's also good for getting rid of performance
anxiety, for those of you who are nervous about playing for people. If you've
been playing for random strangers on the street for months, you don't get
quite as nervous at your first gig. Try it!
-jon