Re: Congratulations Steve!

Date sent:  19-NOV-1992 16:02:20

Hello fellow harpers,

Got a couple comments...

Like why don't you harp players use conventional music theory notation when
discussing what keys you can play on various harps?  Like to me, on a
regular 10-hole hohner type harp you can play in I,II,III,V, and VI.  For
my D golden melody that would be the keys of D major, E minor, F# minor, A
minor (with bending), and B minor (the true relative minor of d major).  I
know I'm talking generally as when playing in III the second step of the
scale is a half step lower than it should be (I just avoid playing that
note).  I don't think it matters anyway for a harpist....the natural minor
scale would be the same as a major scale except that the 3rd, 6th, and 7th
steps of the scale are "flattenned" (moved down 1/2 step in pitch) but the
traditional "blues notes" are the flattenned 3rd, 5th, and 7th. I don't
know about you but I hardly ever play a flat 6th in blues.

Am I missing something.....is there a way to make notes blow sharper?  I
can imagine being able to play in most keys by bending notes flatter, but
to play in all some of the notes have to go up, don't they?

When you talk about overblowing is that when you bend the blow notes in the
upper part of the range flatter?

I just want to say about Golden Melodies that I think they are a great
harmonica.  The thing I like the most about them is their durability.  I
used to do a great deal of hitchiking and go through a lot of Marine Bands
and Blues Harps.  I used to remove the little nails that hold the outer
plates on and drill very small holes straight through both plates and the
comb on both ends and then hold the harp together with tiny machine screws.
That solved the problem of the harps falling apart but I would still crush
them in my pocket after a little while.  The GM has a tab on the plates
that supports the center of the plate away from the comb so they resist
being squished in your pocket.  The last one I bought (a few months ago)
is even held together with screws :^)

Anybody out there ever try to modify a harp?  Once, a long time ago I
decided that to play in A minor on a C harp it would be better to have an A
in the #3 hole blow position so I got one off another harp (an A or D or
something) and took the G reed off the comb and replaced it with the A.  It
worked good for playing in A minor but it messed up the crossharp key (G).
Is that what configuration those "solo tuned" harps use???

Oh, and I'm playing my new GM (key of D) and when I bend the draw#6 no problem
but trying to bend the draw#7 and I lose the note and get squeaks (maybe
blues notes for dogs).  I realize this reed is pretty high in pitch to bend
but is there a way to "break in" the reed so it will produce a clear note
when I bend it?  Is this just typical of this brand of harmonica?

My favorite keys for harps:
        D - great for playing blues in A with guitars
        C - great for playing bluegrass in G with banjos and such
        Eb - great for playing blues in concert Bb with trumpets & saxes
        Bb -   "    "     "      "    "    "    F   "      "         "
        F# - the highest pitched 10-hole.  The reeds are quick and bright!
             (but its hard to get anyone to play along in the key of C#...
             that would be in the key of D#(Eb) for a trumpet player :^( `tho
             guitar players can capo on the fourth fret and play in A)

Anybody have other favorite keys and reasons why they like those in
particular?  Like a G harp is so low you can mouth words through it while
you play and it almost sounds like a jew's harp (you know, those twangy
things that chip your front teeth if you're not careful).

I wish I was this long winded when I am playing a song that has a lot of
blow notes in it!  Any hints, tips, or corrections are welcome.  I really
enjoy reading this list (just got on it last week) and I can see that there
is an awful lot that I don't know (experience limited to just Hohners).  I
also play trumpet and guitar so that's why I'm full of this theory crap...I
hope nobody minds.

Happy Harpin'

Bill Long  longwj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                        -or-