harpin

   Let me introduce myself.  I bought a Music Minus One record and harp
perhaps 20 years ago (key of C tuned like a chromatic-anyone know where
to get one of these?).  For those who never heard of Music Minus One
stuff, they usually had a record in a box (sometimes something extra
like the harmonica or a set of brushes for the drum course) and the
record demonstrated the notes, and getting a pure tone using the tongue
blocking method.  It then gave some tunes that left room for you to play
your harp with the band - that was the Minus One idea - the band was
missing your instrument.  It was fun and easy to stop the record and
repeat something until I learned it. After learing the tongue blocking
method, I took a class from a Chicago blues player named Chicago Slim
(of course he was anything but slim) and learned to bend notes.  It took
probably 20 minutes working at it with him demonstrating before it
suddenly happened!  I won't say how I do it because previous posts have
given several good methods.  I play mostly for myself butplay (as well
as sing) at our "folk" mass at church every Sunday.  Our church also put
on a musical variety show for about 15 years (stopped last year) in
which most of the music was show tunes.  I've got about a dozen diatonic
harps in various keys and a large Chromatic in C.  I've used them all at
one time or another.  But, after saying all that, I would still only
rank myself as an amateur.  I'd love to play blues (just jam considering
my skill level) with a group or something but I don't know anyone else
that plays blues.
   In regard to those who have asked what brand/type of harp they have/play
I haven't heard anyone mention the Hohner Golden Melody.  Its got a
plastic comb and somewhat rounded covers.  It feels good in my hand and
sounds a little mellower than a marine band.  Costs a few dollars more
than a marine band.  I usually buy a Golden Melody when they have one in
the key I need but I have taken just about anything in a pinch.
   Enough for now.  Glad to see this list take off.
Keep Harpin'
Dick